April 18 is Sleep Apnea Awareness Day!
Dr. Greg Pyle is a keen expert on treating sleep apnea for our Muncie patients. His commitment and skills has made him one of the few dentists throughout the country to expertly and effectively treat sleep apnea.
Why is it important to treat sleep apnea?
While sleep apnea is an issue involving abnormal pauses of breathing throughout sleep, interfering with the brain’s oxygen supply, it can dramatically deter your mental health as well. Some of those mental health challenges include:
- Chronic fatigue
- Short-term memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
Should I use the CPAP mask?
Commonly, people are prescribed to the CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure machine) mask, which is a bulky mask the user has to wear every single night. However, this mask can be cumbersome and cause more discomfort than relief for the sleep apnea victim.
Some complaints people have towards the CPAP include:
- It’s difficult to transport especially for vacationing and camping.
- The constrictive mask inflames the flesh around the mouth, causing pimples.
- The plastic hose limits natural sleeping positions, and makes it difficult to go to the bathroom or get a drink.
- It can cost thousands of dollars.
- Since it pushes air to the lungs, the lungs’ interior can become damaged.
Dr. Pyle’s SomnoDent mouthguard to the rescue!
Dr. Pyle has an alternative, more comfortable approach to treating sleep apnea. He uses a customized mouthguard, which will open the airway to promote breathing. This device is noninvasive compared to the CPAP mask, and is extremely effective.